Restaurant: Barque Smokehouse
Location: Roncesvalles Village
Address: 299 Roncesvalles Ave
Price Range: $15~25
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very Good 5: Excellent
* Brunch on the weekends
* Gluten free friendly
* Patio avail
* Takes reservations
BBQ!!!!! okay, so you got my attention. I love meat, I can never give it up, I can never ever be a vegetarian......you get the idea. I love my good, quality steak but another thing I love is smokey, finger licking BBQ ribs. If you follow me on twitter, you know I already went to 3 rib festivals happening this summer (the first one I went to, check it out here)....and I still wish I can go back.
Anyways, so Barque Smokehouse has been on my list for awhile and then I finally got a chance to drop by with a friend. It was a Saturday night when we dropped by and yes, I did expect we would have to wait a little since it was last minute and we walked in without reservation. Why did I go to any restaurant in Toronto without reservation? because I obviously still haven't learned my lesson.
We ended up waiting for about an hour before we were seated by the bar area. It was a long wait but the restaurant was super busy and they had a picnic table for people to sit while waiting so it was fine. But if you are planning to go, do remember to make reservation before hand!
Barque Smokehouse is not that big, but has nice cozy atmosphere with wooden interior and warm lighting. They are def space efficient (or so I thought) with fitting in all that tables in there but not over-cramping it.
Table setting with a brush for BBQ sauce
Complimentary popcorn with BBQ sauce
Ordered: Pulled Duck Tacos 3/5
* 3 tacos with pulled duck, green onion, carrots and hoisin sauce for $10
* Asian flavor inspired tacos seem to be popping up everywhere
* My friend wanted to try this so we ordered it
* It was decent but there was way too much sauce on top
* Duck was tender but overall it could have used some more vegetable
* I don't think I would get this again
Ordered: Barque Bloody Caesar 5/5
* Caesar with pickled beans with candied bacon rim for $10
* Caesar is not something I always loved but it grew on me over time
* This was probably the 2nd best caesar I had so far
* Best one I tried was at Rodney's in Vancouver (don't know if it tastes the same here in TO)
* Candied bacon rim was pretty awesome and it went well with the drink
* I love the pickled beans! could snack on them by itself :)
Ordered: Barque Sampler for One 3.5/5
* Choose 3 meats and 2 sides for $24
* Meats: brisket, beef rib, merguez sausage, competition chicken thigh and 1/3 rack of baby back ribs (sweet heat or dry rub)
* Sides: fries, cuban corn, pickled platter, spinach spaetzle, smoked asparagus, barque caesar salad and hearts of palm salad
* I picked brisket, merguez sausage and beef ribs with cuban corn and barque caesar salad
* Brisket was one of the most tender brisket I've ever tasted in my life!
* Usually I find them to be a little too tough or dry but it was quite moist
* I personally didn't really enjoy the sausage, it didn't have much flavor and found it a little rubbery
* I was the most excited about the beef ribs (prefer them over pork ribs)
* The sampler comes with 1 bone of beef ribs and it didn't really have much meat on it
* Sauce was good and it was smokey but there wasn't much to eat :(
* Cuban corn was decent but barque caesar salad was delicious
* Caesar salad was topped off with some bacon which added flavor
My friend also ordered Barque Sampler for one but with merguez sausage, competition chicken thigh and 1/3 rack of baby back ribs with side of spinach spaetzle and fries.
Spinach spaetzle was something I've never tried before! It's a pasta made from spinach and it was super soft in texture. Came with tomatoes, mushrooms and topped off with parmesan chips- it was interesting.
Their fries were so good! super thin and crispy, just the way I like it
Summary: Despite the one hour wait, my dinner at Barque Smokehouse was quite enjoyable. good food and good company is always good times, right? I am glad I gave Barque Smokehouse a try- nothing REALLY impressed me over the top and I wouldn't say it's my favorite spot for BBQ meats but if you are in the area, give it a try! I would go back just for their awesome bloody caesar with the candied bacon rim...maybe...:)