Restaurant: Trattoria Fieramosca
Location: The Annex
Address: 36 Prince Arthur Ave
Price Range: ~$25 and up
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very Good 5: Excellent
* Open for lunch
* Only open for dinner on weekends
I could never give up a chance to find a perfect Italian restaurant. Yes, I love my reliable Terroni or a hidden gem on Elm street, Donatellos (Check out my review here). But if there are more out there, I am willing to take the risk and venture out to find a better one.
Trattoria Fieramosca is hidden away, located on 36 Prince Arthur Ave which is one block north of Bloor street. I could have had never heard or found this place on my own if someone didn't recommend it to me. Trattoria Fieramosca is a house on it's own, giving it a real Italian home feel even before you walk into it.
Once you walk in, it is designed to welcome you with a 'dining at home' attitude. There are seating on first and second floor, as well as the amazing roof top balcony.
Because it was such a beautiful day out, I decided to try out the roof top balcony (I know, I usually never sit outside! I love my AC). With 4~5 round tables and the fountain in one corner, it definitely did not feel like I was in Toronto.
Once we sat down, we were given a bread basket with white and multigrain bread as well as one piece of bruschetta.
Tomato was cold and fresh tasting with chopped up basil and it was very refreshing overall, but the bread was a little tough. Nonetheless, it was a nice start to a meal.
Ordered: Carpaccio Di Alba 3/5
* Marinated beef thinly sliced and served with arugula, parmigiano and olive oil for $16
* Their appetizers are quite big in portion so this dish accompanied by some bread, could be a meal for someone
* I found the beef to be a little too thick for Carpaccio style
* Perhaps due to the cut of the beef, it was kind of tough
* Since the beef was already marinated, it was a little on the salty side with parmigiano cheese and caper
* I would have preferred some more arugula so that the saltiness could have been balanced out
* Even with the lemon sprinkled on top, this was one of the heaviest Beef Carpaccio I've ever tasted
* They were very generous with parmigiano shaving on top, I love parmigiano cheese!!
Love the blue table sheet and all the wine glasses, def a patio weather :)
Ordered: Insalata Di Prosciutto Di Parma Con Aceto Balsamico Di Modena 4/5
* Spring salad with prosciutto di parma and wild mushrooms balsamic vinegar for $13
* Portion wise, this is definitely bang for your buck
* This came with 3~4 different types of mushroom on top
* If you love mushrooms, you will love this salad
* Prosciutto was fried just like bacon (it tasted like bacon too) and sprinkled on top
* Again, they were very generous with the amount of Prosciutto
* This made the salad really salty even with the salad mix and mushrooms
* I picked off some of the prosciutto and had the rest and it was delicious
Ordered: Spaghetti Alle Vongole 5/5
* Spaghetti served with fresh Manila clams in white wine, olive oil and garlic for $24
* As I've said before, this is my favorite type of pasta
* It is simple with clean flavors and the quality heavily depends on few ingredients like pasta and clam
* This was huge in portion, by now I caught on with their huge portion style
* There was a lot of clams on top and they were pretty decent in size
* Every single one of them were open (fresh) and none of them were empty
* Spaghetti was cooked al dente which I love and they didn't hold back on garlic
* Although this was just seasoned with garlic, olive oil, juice from the clams plus salt and pepper- it was bursting in flavor
* They didn't offer any cheese for pasta, but it was unnecessary anyways
* Make sure to mix well before eating since all the sauce is on the bottom
Ordered: Spaghetti Di Mare Alla Mario 4/5
* Spaghetti with squid, mussels, clams and shrimps in a tomato or white wine sauce for $24
* This is basically the same thing as the one above but with different seafood
* If you are not too crazy about clams and prefer to have variety, this would be a good choice for you
* They did not hold back on seafood- they were all fresh and delicious
Summary: For sitting outside on a roof top balcony, the service was quick and friendly. Do keep in mind that the food is big in portion but I guess that's Italian food for you. I recommend making reservation since it can get quite packed for dinner time and I will definitely be back to try some other items off from their menu.