Restaurant: Smoque BBQ
Location: North Center (Chicago)
Address: 3800 N Pulaski Rd
Price Range: $10~15
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very Good 5: Excellent
*Ranked #6 restaurant on Urbanspoon Chicago
*Pay first, and then sit down
Smoque BBQ was a random find for me. Nobody told me about it, and I didn't find it on urbanspoon or yelp. To be honest, I can't remember how I stumbled upon their website. Anyways, regardless of however I found this spot- there was no way I was going to pass up on a BBQ place.
It was a few minute drive from Chicago downtown, so my friend and I decided to check it out. Smoque BBQ is known for their brisket and bbq ribs- but personally, I find briskets to be a little too dry for me. Since there were only two of us....I had to think really hard as to what I wanted to order before I visited the restaurant.
Once I walked in, I was surprised to see the restaurant lay out. I was expecting a full service restaurant, but it was order and pay at front and sit whereever kinda thing. There was a guy from the restaurant guiding everybody and making sure everyone had tables, which was super helpful. Keep in mind that they don't let you sit down unless all of your party is present at the restaurant.
Ordered: St Louis Rib 1/2 Combo with coleslaw + 2 sides 4/5
* 1/2 St Louis Rib, coleslaw, mac n cheese and fries for $14.95
* You can choose between Baby Back Ribs or St. Louis
* They said St. Louis is the meatier and fattier cut so I went with that
* If you choose a combo, you get to choose 2 sides other than a coleslaw
* Sides are BBQ beans, mac n cheese, fries, brisket chili and corn bread
* For $14.95, this combo was huge and it could be shared between 2 people (girls)
* Ribs were kind of on the dry side, and the sauce was more so marinated into the meat rather than dripping from it
* Explains why there was a side of bbq sauce on the side for you to dip in
* It wasn't fall-off-the-bone type which I prefer, it was kind of disappointing
* Coleslaw was light and refreshing but nothing special
* Mac n Cheese was so good! it was small in portion but had the perfect consistency of cheeseyness and the crust on top was to die for
* Fries were huge in portion, it was good but again- nothing special
Ordered: 1/2 Pulled pork sandwich 3/5
* 1/2 pulled pork sandwich for $4.95
* This was better than I thought it'd be
* Most pulled pork sandwiches I find it to be dry
* But the pulled pork was so tender and juicy
* I didn't really like the bun since it was toasted and made it a little messy to eat
* They give you some more BBQ sauce on the side to use
* BBQ sauce was tangy with the just right amount of sweetness and smokyness
Ordered: Cornbread 5/5
* Side for 95 cents
* This went well with my meal and it was well made
* It's made like a corn muffin which made it easier to eat
* I could feel the texture of cornmeal when I ate it (how it's suppose to be)
* If you like cornbread, it's def worth 95 cents!
Summary: I looked around as I was eating my ribs and it seemed like a lot of people were getting the briskets (what they are known for). And they looked pretty damn good! It wasn't dry looking like the most briskets I've seen. I love bbq and meat- and I can't stop thinking about their mac n cheese. Price is decent and the turnover rate for tables are quite fast. Would recommend to drop by if you are in the area.