Restaurant: 416 Snack Bar
Location: Queen West
Address: 181 Bathurst St
Price Range: ~$10
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very Good 5: Excellent
* Only open for dinner
* Doesn't take reservation
* Recommend going in small group (less than 4)
* Takes Visa, Debit and Cash
* Specials change constantly
I am very bitter about restaurants that don't take reservations. Why not? not everyone has time to wait for 30 minutes to have a meal. And for those who can't wait, the restaurants are basically saying 'screw you and your time, if you want to dine here- you need to wait'.
Oh wells, people still want to eat at those restaurants because it's good, right? And people are still willing to get to the restaurant as soon as they open so they don't have to wait so long. I am one of those people. I complain and bitch....yet I do it cause I got no choice. Life is unfair.
Anyways, I opted to dine at 416 snack bar with fellow food bloggers on a Thursday night. We arrived around 7pm to find the place absolutely packed. We were told it'd be around 20 minutes, that didn't sound that bad...so we waited...and waited which ended up being around 45 minutes. I left angry (not at the restaurant) cause I was hungry and irritated that I wasted 45 minutes of my time waiting for nothing.
So what did I do? I returned the next day exactly when they opened at 5pm. And ta-dah I was the first one there and got to choose the table. Anyways, I just wanted to complain.
416 Snack bar is small places, and I mean really small. Don't come here with 4 or more people even on a weekday and expect to be seated. It is def more of a drinking place anyways and if you want to eat, most of the items are served in 2s so go with a friend and it will make your life so much easier.
It's not a place you want to have intimate dinner and discuss your worries. It is a small place and it does get super loud in here with all the people shouting at the top of their lungs especially with some alcohol in the system.
Ordered: Special Thing (Dungeness Crab Roll) 3/5
* Special Thing is like Special of the day and it changes constantly
* Diced up dungeness crab rolled up with cucumber
* It was light and refreshing
* Breadcrumbs were nice touch and it def added texture to the dish
Ordered: Steak Tartare 4/5
* 2 pieces of Steak tartare on bread for $5.31
* Steak tartare was almost melt in your mouth
* I liked how the marinade/sauce wasn't too sour
* Another solid dish
Ordered: Mushroom Toast 5/5
* 2 pieces of Wild mushroom on top of brioche toast for $4.42
* Fresh mushroom on top of brioche sounds like heaven
* This was light but so meaty with all the juicy mushroom
* Toasted brioche added some buttery'ness to the dish
* Must order
Ordered: Scotch Egg Benny 5/5
* 2 scotch egg benny for $4.43
* I've never had scotch egg benny before so I wasn't sure what to expect
* This was so good!! It was filled with egg goodness and the creamy texture was heavenly
* This is a must order when you visit! I can prob have 2 or more of this
Ordered: Korean Fried Chicken 3/5
* 3 pieces of fried chicken covered in sweet-spicy sauce for $4.43
* This was a little disappointing in terms of flavor
* It was spicy and dripping in sauce but the chicken was a little dry
* I didn't find it to be anything special
Ordered: Pork Belly Bun 3/5
* Pork belly and ginger in a Bao for $5
* Decent sized pork belly but the bun was a little soggy
* Interesting how they added ginger (ones you eat with sushi) to the bun which I did not like
* Would have preferred to have regular pickled veggies (carrots and radishes)
* Prefer pork belly bun from Swish by Han
Ordered: Lobster Roll 3/5
* 1 lobster roll with green bean for $7
* For it's price, this was tiny (size of my index finger)
* This was one of the items I was really looking forward to but didn't impress me
* Lobster was tossed in some butter sauce which made it a little too rich for me
* Bun was soft and the green beans added nice crunch to the roll but I didn't enjoy it that much
Summary: Much anticipated visit to 416 snack bar did not leave me disappointed. Some dishes were hit or miss but overall I enjoyed the dining experience. Snack menu style is becoming really popular all over Toronto and you just got to balance out if you want to be having a full meal or just drink + snacks. If you are looking for somewhere to drop by for drinks with a quick bite to eat- 416 snack bar is for you. If you are used to something like Cheesecake factory, this is not for you.